Beautiful camellias in lush gardens frame this elegant, Canberra red brick home, completed circa 1934 and situated in an historic precinct, established before the opening of Parliament House in 1928. The iconic streetscape of magnificent old trees originally laid out by Charles Weston, now shade the home at 20 Dirrawan Gardens.
Comprehensive renovations in recent times, respecting the home's historic character and sourcing the highest quality finishes and inclusions, have achieved a masterful blending of heritage with contemporary style and comfort.
The wide front terrace offers a tranquil place to relax, enjoying the private outlook over gardens to the Reid tennis courts. In the covered entry an authentic front door opens to the restful ambience of another time. In the hallway, high ceilings, which feature throughout the home, and contemporary white décor, add to the welcoming air. Stunning Grey Ironbark solid timber flooring extends from the entry through the hallway, formal living area, kitchen and a large front bedroom.
To the right of the entry, the open plan formal lounge/dining perfectly preserves the character of the era, in its high coffered ceiling, ornate cornice, graceful pendant light fitting and picture rails. An in-character, slow combustion fireplace adds to the cosy atmosphere, although a new hydronic heating system maintains warmth throughout the home. The large sash windows are furnished with honeycomb blinds, also fitted in all bedrooms, while the double brick construction assists in maintaining year round comfort. Mood lighting dimmer switches have been installed in living areas and bedrooms, and the home has been re-wired.
A huge stone island bench with breakfast bar and striking pendant light fittings feature in the new kitchen, which showcases the finest appliances and finishes; a Siemens induction cooktop with two gas jets and a Qasair rangehood, a Siemens stainless steel oven and microwave, and an integrated Miele dishwasher, a pantry and display cabinetry, while the splashback features handmade Spanish tiles. Double glazed, cedar framed windows and glass-panelled French doors with Crimsafe screen doors, open onto the large entertaining deck, overlooking the picturesque gardens.
On the opposite side of the entry, frosted, glass-panelled double doors open to an appealing and oversized bedroom, featuring timber flooring, three full length windows, picture rails, high ceiling and pendant light fitting. This second bedroom lends itself to flexible use as an additional living area. At the front of the home is a third double bedroom, which could also be used as a study or living area and is furnished with plush new carpet and a wall of built-in storage. Finishes and fittings have been carefully chosen in the stylish new bathroom, which offers a bath, shower, separate w/c and Spanish marble floor tiles over in-floor heating.
In the hallway, bathed in light from a Velux skylight, glass-panelled double doors lead to walk-through robes, ensuite and into the luxuriously proportioned master bedroom, a true sanctuary with a timeless character and restful sense of space and light. Two double sash windows offer a completely private outlook into the parklike gardens.
The expansive entertaining deck has seen many larger gatherings and it is the perfect setting for a glass of champagne, overlooking the gardens. Tended with care and creativity, they are a delight to wander around in. Camellias feature in abundance, rhododendrons, azaleas, magnolias, dogwood, roses and luxuriant white peonies. A haven of self-sufficiency as well, it offers a great variety of fruit and productive veggie beds, organically managed. Bountiful mature fruit trees include cherry, persimmon, white peach, apricot and espaliered peacharines and nectarines, a plum, lemon and fig.
The friendly neighbourhood is one of the pleasures of living in the area, as well as the beautiful gardens and heritage streetscapes. The local pre-school is only metres away, primary and high schools are close by, as are walking trails on Mt. Ainslie.
A world of timeless grace and tranquillity, only a few minutes' walk to the centre of the City and Mt Ainslie walking trails!
- Elegant Canberra red brick home, constructed in 1934 and situated in a heritage precinct
- Generous block of approx. 1,045 m2 in peaceful, prime location opposite Reid tennis courts
- Recent update with high end finishes has skilfully blended the historic and contemporary
- Chic presentation with fresh neutral décor and quality new carpet and soft furnishings
- Historic character throughout in the high, battened ceilings, picture rails and sash windows
- Cosiness of a slow-combustion fireplace in lounge/dining complements the authentic features
- Decorative original cornices and most internal doors preserved and others carefully replicated
- Grey Ironbark solid timber flooring has been laid over original Cyprus Pine floor boards
- A new programable hydronic heating system
- New eat-in kitchen showcases vast stone benchtop with breakfast bar and pendant lighting
- Siemens stainless steel pyrolytic oven and microwave, along with a Siemens induction cooktop and 2 gas jets
- Miele semi-integrated dishwasher, Qasair stainless steel rangehood, pantry and display cabinets
- Double glazed, cedar framed windows and French doors to entertaining deck
- Home has been re-wired and light switches in living areas have a dimmer function
- Versatile accommodation as all bedrooms are oversized with two featuring a wall of built-in robes
- Honeycomb duet blinds at the front of the home can be wound either up or down
- Luxuriously sized master offers ensuite, walk-through robes, ceiling fan and garden outlook
- New main bathroom offers a bath, shower, in-floor heating and a separate w/c
- Spanish marble floor tiles in new bathroom and w/c
- Rheem instantaneous
UV: $ 1,125,000 (approx.)
Rates: $ 7,082.00 (approx)
The House at 20 Dirrawan Gardens REID, ACT 2612 has been sold 2 times before, with the most recent sale being for $2,195,000 on 31 October 2020.
|Sold Date||Price||Sale Type|
Have you owned this property ?
Learn more about sold data
20 Dirrawan Gardens REID, ACT 2612 has 31 schools within 5 kilometres, with the closest being Canberra Grammar School - Northside - early childhood campus.
|0.65 km||Canberra Grammar School - Northside - early childhood campus||Blamey Crescent, Campbell|
|0.67 km||Campbell High||Treloar Crescent, Campbell|
|0.91 km||Ainslie School||Donaldson Street, Braddon|
|1.51 km||St Thomas More's Primary||White Crescent, Campbell|
|1.64 km||Campbell Primary||Chauvel Street, Campbell|
|1.74 km||Merici College||Wise Street, Braddon|
|2.32 km||Turner Early Childhood Centre||Condamine Street, Turner|
|2.32 km||Turner School||Condamine Street, Turner|
|2.81 km||St Joseph's Primary||Boronia Drive, O'Connor|
|2.89 km||O'Connor Cooperative School||MacPherson Street, O'Connor|
20 Dirrawan Gardens is located within the suburb of Reid, which has a population of 1,636, a median age of 39 and an average household density of 1.9 people.